The first stage in building Northwich’s £13.7m culture and leisure venue is now underway.
Construction teams working on the new Memorial Court have laid the piling mattress – recycled crushed stone from the demolition of the Memorial Hall and Magistrates’ Court.
The piling mattress holds the weight of the piling rig which will install over 800 vertical concrete columns to improve the strength of the building’s foundations.
Culvert found on site.
During the initial dig two culverts measuring three metres wide and three metres deep were unearthed running north to south, situated approximately under the line of the plaza which separated the Memorial Hall and Magistrates’ Court. This is believed to be part of the “Cut”, shown on historical mapping, which was a narrow water channel connecting the River Dane to Northwich town centre.
Map dated 5 May 1827 showing culvert link between River Dane and The Cut.
The new Memorial Court lies on the location of the brine cistern and pan houses shown.
Map (pdf 0.24KB)
Old map_identifacation only (pdf 0.48KB)
This old map (1891-1912) overlaid with the current ordnance survey map
shows the location of the culvert/cut and the Memorial Court site.
The culverts – which were blocked with silt, branches and other debris – were removed as part of the preparation for the piling works as they were unsuitable to build on.
Councillor Stuart Parker, Executive Member for Culture and Economy, said: “Now the demolition works are complete we are able to start preparing the ground for construction.
“From early next year, local residents will start to notice some real changes on site as this exciting development starts to take shape.”
The piling works are expected to continue into January, with a two-week break over Christmas and the New Year.