Build Contractor Announced for Barons Quay

Square_View_300x225

The contractor responsible for the build of the £80m Barons Quay scheme set to transform Northwich town centre was announced today (Thursday 17 July 2014).

Cheshire West and Chester Council’s Executive last night approved the appointment of Balfour Beatty Construction Ltd to the riverside retail and leisure development.

Members considered a report which identified the company as the preferred bidder following a competitive tender process.

The contract start date of September 1 will enable Balfour Beatty to commence pre-site work this autumn.

The scheme will transform a neglected 26-acre brownfield site into a vibrant commercial centre with new shopping and leisure opportunities.

The development – which is expected to create 1,200 jobs – takes full advantage of the river frontage while creating strong links to the traditional shopping areas.

Councillor Eveleigh Moore Dutton, Executive Member for Resources, said: “The appointment of Balfour Beatty followed a rigorous selection procedure and I am delighted to welcome them on board. The company has a strong track record in delivering projects of this nature.

“This is a key milestone in the delivery of a major development project that will create jobs, vibrancy and prosperity, and ultimately transform Northwich into one of the North West’s busiest market towns.

“We are committed to working with the companies to ensure as many of the jobs as possible go to local people, building on the success of Waitrose where 85 percent of the jobs were won by local people – 50 percent of whom were previously unemployed.”

The first sequence of Barons Quay is due to be completed by autumn 2016.

This will incorporate an Odeon cinema, restaurants, Asda supermarket, public realm, car parking, and shops beneath the car park and surrounding the new square on Leicester Street.

The next sequence – a concurrent build of further shops and residential units – is scheduled for completion in 2017.

Local Councillor Paul Dolan said: “The appointment of Balfour Beatty is excellent news for Northwich, bringing us another step closer to the long-awaited regeneration of our town.

“In just a few months’ time local residents will finally be able to see work starting on site as this neglected quarter of the town centre is transformed into something very exciting.

“It is important for the residents and traders in Northwich to know that during the construction phase all efforts will be made to minimise disruption in the town centre, including the provision of alternative, if temporary, parking provision.”

The process to appoint a build contractor commenced in October 2013 through an advert in the Official Journal of the European Union.

Following initial evaluation, four contractors were invited to submit full bids which were evaluated by a team comprising officers from the Council and the authority’s project management consultants Rider Levett Bucknall.

The award of the contract is subject to a standstill period.